Thursday, November 15, 2012

Drifting in the clouds

I had a nice surprise on Wednesday this week when I received a sample version of the new Brooks Pure Drift. The shoes left an instant impression on me, they were black with hot pink, awesome colour choice.

I decided to take them out for a spin on Thursday morning. They are a minimalist shoe and my run was short so it was a great opportunity to give them a go. Featured technology of the shoe includes:
  • Adaptable mid sole height: A removable 4mm sock liner provides a zero offset experience increasing ground connection.
  • Dual toe flex: Two splits in the toe box enable the forefoot to flex through its three functional units for natural balance and a springy push off.
  • Seamless design: Ensures comfort is maintained when the sock liner is removed.
  • Wider forefoot base: Amplifies the anatomical last providing true support and a second skin-like feel.
I decided to test some of these concepts on my run. The key things I noted included:

  • Weight: the shoe was amazingly light, I found this was conducive to high cadence running.
  • Looks: there was plenty of interest in the pretty colours!
  • Flexibility: the sole was very flexible and basically moulded to my foot. This also assisted with cadence and agreed with my forefoot running style.
  • Width: there was plenty of room in the front of the shoe yet the shoe was still tight around the mid section supported by additional material (see the pink stripes below) which helped with control.
All in all it was a good experience. I think these shoes will be great for my track sessions due to the light weight, control factor generated from the flexible sole and the way they assist with a high cadence.

Happy running!


No comments: