Monday, November 17, 2014

Murray Man Long Course 2014


So many race reports at the moment I can't keep up! I have tried to add photos in this post that are not already on social media. 

I flew into Adelaide in business class on Friday night after work. It was a relaxing way to travel especially with a three hour drive the next day. 

In the morning I did a small jog from by parents house and went to breakfast with my mum and dad. We then left for the riverland driving through the town I grew up in until I was five (Karoonda). 

Road home via Gawler (edge of the Barossa)

Mum at Karoonda (Murray Malee region)

We arrived in Berri at about 2pm and took a nap before checking the bike in over at Barmera. My brother drove up in the afternoon and met us for dinner at the Berri Hotel. Matt was born in Berri so it was great to visit the town and see where we had lived before I was born.

It was a late start (7.30am) so there was plenty of time to get to the venue and set up transition, have a run and get my nutrition right for the day.

The swim was in Lake Bonney. Beautiful place, flat, warm and a clear swim. We started with the men. I was hoping to keep up with the guys but didn't get a great start and missed the hip. It was a small group so it fragmented quickly. I was with Maddy for the whole swim and couldn't shake her, not without trying. 

Swim start, Photo credit: Grant Swatty

We exited together and I probably lost some time in transition but had a great flying mount onto the TT which was a first. I decided to attack the first 3 laps of the bike. With a strong headwind on the bike, the gap I had established was easy to maintain which allowed me to spin my legs out a little after 70k. The ride was very pretty as it overlooked Lake Bonney.

Bike mount, Photo credit: Grant Swatty

I wasn't sure how my legs would go on the runs after such a stong headwind. I got started and they seemed to feel ok. I once again attacked the fist two laps of the run and consolidated on the third and held pace on the fourth. I was happy to win and bring the racing block to an end with a great result.

No comments: