Sunday, June 16, 2013

Byron Tri 2013

Byron this year was a dead rubber. I was the only entrant in the open field, which did not make for much of a race. Given it was only six weeks post surgery I was happy not to have to work too hard on the run but rather apply myself to a steady race. It was my longest run since the op and I wanted to ensure I stayed steady throughout.

The open field were not privileged with a wet suit which made the swim a little tough given the rough conditions. I had to take the sand run pretty easy into transition because it really does stretch the achilles area and the calf. I had a plan of belting the bike as I have been able to maintain a good level of fitness on the bike despite the injury. I came off the bike in a great position and had no challengers for the run so it was a matter of doing the minimum necessary for the win. It wasn't pretty, with mud on the run making an already challenging experience just that bit tougher. A 40m run was the result. It is amazing what can happen in around just 12 weeks from New Zealand. At least now it is fixed an I can concentrate on my fitness.

As you can see below the fitness impact of an injury was an eye opener for me. Not exactly with it at the finish. Thanks Veloshotz.com for the photo.


No comments: