Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Canberra Ironman 70.3


It was a short stay in Canberra. I flew in on the Friday after work and was out first thing Monday morning, back into the office for an early meeting. 

I flew in and met Sam Betten at the airport. We were staying at my sister in laws house, thanks Maggie. 

This race was all business with Des Moins points and Vegas points on offer. I had been racing quite often was struggling for motivation. 

I had a bad swim, I struggled with the delayed start and just could not match the pace with the combined men's and women's field. I headed out onto the bike on a mission. I quickly gained positions back and was in fourth by the start of the run. 

Lisa Marangon was just ahead. I remained calm and focused on my game plan. Staying steady, I passed Lisa after about 3km. Michelle was hammering down on me so I focused on sectioning out the race, surging in areas. Annabel and Anna were too far ahead so catching was going to be a big call. It was going to be up to me to hold off challenges for third. In the end I had the quickest run split. The run is coming back to me now, finally. 

I was delighted with third, especially after this giant race block. It is awesome to be back racing at a high level, I am enjoying every minute. Next up Auckland 70.3. I got a little excited at the finish, I raised the banner in 3rd, why not I was stoked. 



No comments: