Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Mecure Yeppoon Ironman 70.3

Well it has taken me a few days longer than usual to write this. I was struck down by a nasty virus this week which I had unfortunately started showing signs of last Friday night before the race. On Sunday morning I thought it was just hay fever. This is the second cold/flu this season and only four weeks after the last one. It’s ironic because I was reading an article from Michael Shelly about that basically says not to run if you wake up with a head cold. I thought that makes sense. Then a week later I’ve gone and done it anyway. So that’s how the day started….


The swim was rough. You can see it in the video. I just wasn’t switched on enough to get going and lost out big time in the swim. I can’t complain I just haven’t done the work in the water yet. The positive I can take out of this is that there is room for some quick gains in the water.

The bike is known as being a really rough course. It didn't bother me too much during the race but I think it was because I actually wore shorts rather than bathers which were far more comfortable. I set the course record on the bike which is pretty cool. My cycling has been going really well lately. I found the course congested on the bike and spent most of the day in the right tyre road grove where it was a little smoother. I had my Endura products as usual on the bike with no major issues other than feeling slightly more thirsty than normal. I made up a minute on the bike and felt pretty good riding into transition.

Going out onto the run I felt pretty comfortable for the first lap. Pulling a minute back on half one of lap one and another 15 seconds back by the second half of lap one. The gap stayed the same through the off road section and then I hit what could be none other than described as ‘the wall’. I started to wobble and my ears started ringing it was really strange. I thought maybe it was nutrition but I had eaten to the usual plan. When I crossed the line I needed assistance. There was nothing left in the tank. I was disappointed with my run because it is not an indication of where my running is at and the training I have been putting in. Nonetheless, I was pleased that I could still challenge up to the last lap. Now the task is to get healthy and ready for the next race. I am really motivated to get the swim back to where it was in 2009 and get the run firing for next race and yes I will practice my banner lifting. This is the second time in as many races I have failed to lift the banner over my face.
A big thanks go to Nick Munting, the crew from www.xtri.com.au and the Yeppoon Mecure for hosting such a fantastic event. Thanks to Endura, Brooks and RedDog triathlon training for all the support. Thanks also to the race caller Steph Hanson from www.witsup.com for making me feel welcome at the event. I will upload a video with sum clips from the event once editing is complete.

No comments: